Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Alien v Predator? Seriously? You have an opinion?


All Hallow's Eve is one of the biggest party nights of the year in the District. Rather than venturing out, I had already told myself I was going to stay in and take care of the ankle (which is healing quite nicely). After getting harassed by Bryan about the movie Alien (okay, not harassed, he's just enthusiastic about telling his friends about the show), I grabbed my ice pack (a 16 oz package of Trader Joe's peas)my sewing ( I will finish the giant embroidered pineapple) and settled down to watch the movie, "Off the Map." I liked the leads, Joan Allen and Sam Elliot but I was a little skeptical to watch a movie with so little buzz (and I don't always trust Ebert's reviews). However, I really enjoyed the coming of age flick. Set in rural New Mexico in the 70's, its about a family who lives, "off the map," they live off the grid, and make do with the $350.00 veterans checks the husband receives. The family is thrown into a tailspin when Elliot's character has depression, and the show is about how they manage during this family crisis. A sweet little film. Anyway, not the greatest Halloween ever, but a good night.

Here's my fave song from Guero by Beck. The video? Pure Beck fun. Love the Beck.

3 comments:

Lae said...

Hi there! Welcome to my new blog, lets exchange links http://best-nature-photos.blogspot.com let me know, if u are agree, thanks :)

Smash said...

My favorite line from Guero: I'm taking a ceramics class.

Followed closely by: My popsicle's melting.

I was reading something the other day about how when Beck blew up on the scene with "loser" in the 90's, no one realized he was actually a musical genius.

Sherpa said...

Its so crazy how people didn't recognize his skill..but then I still wonder if they do. He's amazing....and I dig his free-association lyrics.