Friday, December 12, 2008

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

I took dinner over to a family in my church who just had a baby this week, and when I discussed it with a co-worker he was adamant that I make a dessert too (mostly because he knew I'd bring the extras to the office). I decided on these cookies because they looked good and I knew they'd appeal to a 4 and 6 year old. They also appealed to my co-workers and Kelli. No pictures because there were only two left this morning and I decided to eat them instead of photographing them. Pictures can be found at Recipe Girl.com

I've also downloaded the recipe on GoogleDocs here.

My adaptations are in italics.

Chocolate-Peanut Butter cookies
Previously called (Magic in the Middles, but I thought that name was lame).

1 ½ Cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup granulated sugar (plus extra for dipping)
½ cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (unsalted is fresher than salted butter)
¼ cup smooth peanut butter (I used honey nut peanut butter)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
Filling
¾ cup smooth peanut butter (I used honey nut peanut butter)
¾ cup powdered sugar


Prep: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.

Prepare dough: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In another medium bowl, beat together sugars, butter, and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg, beating to combine then stir in dry ingredients, blending well

Prepare filling: In a small bowl, stir together peanut butter and powdered sugar until smooth. With floured hands, roll the filling into 26 one inch balls. (I couldn’t get the peanut butter and powdered sugar to “go smooth.” However, I was able to make the balls just fine. I also just made the balls as I was assembling the cookies).

Shape cookies: Break off about 1 Tbsp of the dough, make an indentation in the center with your finger, and press one of the peanut butter balls into the indentation. Bring the dough up and over the filling, pressing it closed; roll the cookies in the palms of your hand to smooth it out. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. (Luckily the dough is really stiff, and forgiving. These are easy to assemble (almost a task for two people because of all the different steps).

Final Prep: Dip the top of each cookie in granulated sugar and place on baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Grease the bottom of a drinking glass and use it to flatten each cookie to about ½ inch-thick.
Bake! Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes, until they’re set. Remove from oven and cool on rack. (I cooked these for 9 minutes and I overcooked them by a minute-okay only I could tell- in our "runs cooler than the actual temp) oven)

Adapted from the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion and RecipeGirl.com

14 comments:

Megan Andrea said...

um. magic in the middles is a glorious name.

Sherpa said...

Cool, you can use it sometime.

Brenda said...

I make a similar recipe but with marshmallows in the middle. I'm going to try your variation!

RecipeGirl said...

Glad you enjoyed these!

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Hey there!

Do me a favor please, check out my latest blog post and vote for Matt Chancey for Man of the Year. Spread the word; we need him to win!!!

Spencer

Sherpa said...

Dr Paleo-Who?

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding you...?

Sherpa said...

Dr Paleo- I'm sorry, but I don't know who that guy is, so I don't know why I should vote for him.

Recipe Girl--Thanks!

Brenda-Marshmallows? Kelli would pretty much be your cookie-slave if these cookies had marshmallows in it.

Brenda said...

The Kays do have a love-thing for marshmallows. Recently Dave and I had a heated discussion about how a wife should be able to put a package in the pantry without fear of it being ransacked prior to her using them in the intended recipe. Obviously this discussion took place after the pillaging.

Sherpa said...

Brenda-These Kays. I used to buy marshmallows occasionally, but they would just disappear. Now if I want marshmallows, I either just take them from Kelli's bag or buy a bag, take what I want and hand them over.

Brenda said...

Do you have problems with licorice, too? You'd think it was a food group or something.

Sherpa said...

Yes!

In September I brought back a bag of Red Vines from Utah (we can't get them out here) and set them on the table. The next day they were gone. I don't even remember eating one.

kathy said...

These sound like melt-in-your-mouth delicious! I'll have to try these during Valentine's day

If you have any fondue recipes, I'd love you to share those on my blog in the next day or two - I'll be making this for New Years and I love trying new recipes as well

Dainon. said...

Can you make me a batch and send it to me? I'll give you my address ...