Sunday, June 15, 2008

So Even Though I was Adopted, I'd like to Wish my Dad a Happy Father's Day*

Today is Father's Day, and since I like my dad most of the time, this post is for him.

This is the first picture of my dad and I. I'm the oldest.

Before I was born my mom said that my dad was sure I was going to be a little boy. Both of his brothers had boys first, and there wasn't any question..I was a boy. Then I was born, and she said he completely forgot that I was supposed to be a boy. He'd come home at least once a month when I was little with a new adorable little dress or outfit for me.
Even though my dad was busy with work and church, we were always doing stuff with him. When he got home from work, he'd often play sports with us in the yard. He even got permission from the neighbor to build a diamond in their vacant field. We fished, hiked, x-country skiied, down-hill skiied, he coached our teams. He always wanted to know about our school work. He was and still is a hands-on dad.

This picture was just taken a few weeks ago. Here he is with Steve-o in Nauvoo in front of the temple there. My dad is the only sibling in his family that's active in the LDS faith in his family.

This picture was taken Dec. '07 at Steven's officer commissioning ceremony at BYU, and a day before Richard got married in Bountiful. My Dad is retired National Guard and Steven chose my dad to give the dollar to during the ceremony. Very touching moment, and other people were touched by it too.

Here's my Dad with my mom, grandma, Richard and Nicole the next day.

My Dad and my Grandma. For my Grandmother's last 4 years or so of her life, she was in a nursing home in Vernal. My dad visited her at least 5 times a week that time, and couple of months of her life, it was daily, and sometimes twice daily. I was home for Christmas a few weeks before she passed and I went with him daily to the Nursing home. Her last words was "He's kind of dumb, isn't he" to me about my dad (he was goofing off trying to get her to eat).


Here's a picture of us the day Steven and my mom came home from the hospital. This picture was taken at his parent's house.


(*I wasn't adopted, but my loving father has told me (I'm the only one of his kids he's told this to) this since I can remember.)

4 comments:

Putz said...

neat tribute to your good old dad

Smokey said...

Nice joy

Ramanda said...

I remember how he would pace the sidelines at our soccer games and harrass the refs! He'd get so into the game! What a good dad!

Joy said...

Putz- Thanks

Rich-Hope you liked it

Ramanda-Your post totally made me laugh. Totally brought back memories of those high school games.