Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Review: Resurrecting the Champ

On Tuesday night, I had the opportunity to catch an advance screening of "Resurrecting the Champ," in Georgetown. Sports films are a weakness of mine, and after seeing a preview for the film, I was happy to get a chance to see the film for free. For the most part, this is a great little film. The film tells the story of a young reporter played by Josh Hartnett who gains a lot of attention writing a story about a boxing great(Samuel L. Jackson) who now lives on the streets. Ultimately, the story is less about boxing than it is about fathers and sons.

Samuel L. Jackson shines as the champ. Alan Alda, one of my all-time faves, is always a pleasure to see and does well as Josh Hartnett's boss. The weak link is Josh Hartnett, but although his acting isn't great..its not embarassingly bad like a Kevin Costner in a non-baseball show, or Kirsten Durst in Spiderman II. The script could've been tightened up, but all in all, not a bad show and one that'll get some buzz.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought it looked pretty good from the previews...so is this $1 movie material or full price? And what else does Josh Harnett play in, I was racking my brains....

aisy said...

and it was free... nice

he was in blackhawk down (i believe), pearl harbor

check this link for all his creds.

Joy said...

I'd say wait to the dollar show. Its not a must-see, at least for me anyway.