Friday, April 15, 2005

"Whats the use of having all this jack around if it can't get us a superior kind of man?"
So, I've been on a bit of an old movie kick again. I've been watching them since I was a kid, AMC opened up a whole world of an America past that I was enchanted with. The clothes, the wit, even the "cheesy" 1 and 2 star movies were entertaining. TCM has been showing great (well to me) movies and we've been recording at our house. Wednesday night Holiday (not holiday inn), Philadelphia Story (all-time fave) and Pat and Mike were on...Sunday His Girl Friday was on....so many cool movies...

Last night Marilyn's brother and sister were over and the brother after eyeing the television in disdain several times finally asking us okay, who likes the old movies. Nelli replied "all of us." He then eyeballed it again. Oh he's got a television downstairs. No SportsCenter for him.!

We were watching 1938 Holiday starring Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn with memorable lines like :

"When I find myself in a position like this, I ask myself what would General Motors do and I do just the opposite."

"You've got no faith in Johnny, have you, Julia? His little dream may fall flat, you think. Well, so it may, what if it should? There'll be another. Oh, I've got all the faith in the world in Johnny. Whatever he does is all right with me. If he wants to dream for a while, he can dream for a while, and if he wants to come back and sell peanuts, oh, how I'll believe in those peanuts!"

From IMDB:Free-thinking Johnny Case(Grant) finds himself betrothed to a millionaire's daughter. When her family, with the exception of black-sheep Linda (Hepburn)and drunken Ned, want Johnny to settle down to big business, he rebels, wishing instead to spend the early years of his life on "holiday." With the help of his friends Nick and Susan Potter, he makes up his mind as to which is the better course, and the better mate.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030241/plotsummary



No comments: