Fall Movies 2006
Like usual, the best movies of the year are released from September to December. Because the quality of movies this summer has been so low, I think the fall season is going to be more of a whirlwind season than usual. This summer, I think I've seen maybe 6 or 7 films, this fall there's at least 15 films I'm interested in seeing. The list that follows isn't a comprehensive list, just the movies I'm interested in that will be out the next 4 months.
Friday Aug. 25
Invincible-While it looks to be typical Disney sports fare, I'm a bit of a sucker for 70's period films, and this show about a 30 year old NFL rookie interests me, and I don't even like the NFL.
Idlewild-I want this film to do well. I don't have a lot of expectations for Outkast's period piece music, but I'm hoping its a decent film, even though its rotten tomato meter is 38% right now.
Friday, September 8
Hollywoodland-The trailer about this film, the story of the mysterious circumstances behind the first tv superman, George Reeves, is intriguing even despite or because Ben Affleck is in it.
Friday September 15
The Black Dahlia: Story is in the same series as LA Confidential, Brian DePalma is directing and it stars Hillary Swank, Scarlett Jo, Josh Hartnett and Aaron Eckhardt. Interested yet?
The Last Kiss
Another remake, but it stars Zach Braff.
Friday September 22
All The Kings Men
One of my all-time favorite novels, I'm not sure about yet another adaption of this stellar story. Sean Penn can be briliant, so we'll see.
Friday September 29
School For Scoundrels
I like Billy Bob Thorton, but Jon Heder? I'm over him.
Guardian
Coast Guard finally gets their movie, its about the swimmers (which fascinates) but it stars Kevin Costner, who I have a love-hate relationship, and the mostly forgettable Ashton Kutcher.
Friday, October 6
The Departed Martin Scorcese's film starring Nicholson, Matt Damon, DiCaprio, and Mark Wahlberg among others, looks to be an early Oscar contender. Plus, it has Nicholson. The trailer is DiCaprio centered, but he looks good as do the rest.
Breaking and Entering: Jude Law drama about a successful architect who must confront his own prejudices when his office is broken into by a muslim thief. I'm intrigued.
Friday, October 20
Flags of our Fathers
I recently read the novel that the film is based on, and I'm really looking forward to this film. Eastwood has always been a solid filmmaker, he's been stunning the last several years and I think this film has the potential to be a masterpiece. Adam Beach is playing Ira Hayes, Ken Watanbe is playing General Tadamichi Kuribayashi. From the trailer alone, I wouldn't be surprised if Watanbe gets an awards nom from this and the Japanese film (which may be out the end of the year).
Marie Antoinette
Kirsten Dunst as the queen? Jason Schwartzmann as the clueless husband? Tennis shoes worn by the queen? Somehow, I'm not repelled by those three things.
The Prestige
Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman as rivaling magicians? Not sure about the story, but I'll probably see it for the eye candy.
Friday, October 27
Babel
Already getting Oscar buzz.
Friday November 3
Borat
spin-off of a character on the Ali-G show. Touted as the funniest show of the year.
Friday, November 10
Stranger than Fiction
Will Ferrel takes a dramatic turn (speaking of which, he's really good in Winter Passing) playing a man who realizes his life is being written by a novelist.
A Good Year
Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe
Friday, November 17
Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny
Well, the trailer is pretty funny
Wednesday November 22
For Your Consideration
The mockumentary teaming up Christopher Guest and Ricky Gervais. You better believe I'm going to see it.
Bobby
The film about Bobby Kennedy. I may not get around to seeing it in theaters, but I'm interested in this one.
Friday, December 8
Apocalypto
Mel Gibson may not be the smartest guy on the planet when he's had several drinks (not even talking about drunk driving which is just stupid), but I'm looking forward to this mayan epic.
The Good German
Soderberg, Tobey Maguire and Clooney.
The Holiday
Okay, how many films this fall is Jude Law in again? This is the movie where Jack Black plays a romantic lead! We don't have enough Jack Black romantic comedies out there!
Friday, December 15
Blood Diamond
Another Dicaprio film, this time revolving around the diamond industry in Africa
Friday, December 22
Charlotte's Web
I'd be remiss in not including an adaption of another favorite book.
Night at the Museum
Okay, its Ben Stiller trying his hand at a childrens film, but the premise that the museum exhibits at the Natural History Museum in New York come to life after hours sounds like a good time.
2 comments:
Ohh....I'll go see Bobby with you. I am interested in that one
You didn't like pirates???
OK, fine.
I guess I'd better get some culture by reading a couple of those books you kind of reccomneded.
I LOVE Zach Braff.
Post a Comment