Ross v. Shepherd
Back in the day (when Clooney was on the show) I used to watch ER faithfully. Oh, the drama, the medicine, the drama (Susan and Dr Green, Ross and Nurse Hathaway). Well, since er has gone the way of the melodramatic soapopera, there's been a void in my life that I didn't realize was even there until my roommate Megan introduced the top half of the house to Grey's Anatomy (the bottom half of the house has been watching it since the beginning). I was a bit reluctant at first, with lines like "The only person that can keep a promise so big is God, and I haven't seen him pick up a scalpel lately." I really wasn't sure what to expect.However, by the second or third episode, I haven't looked back, but I can
't help but compare the two shows. e.r. kind of hid from its soap opera-esque beginnings, while I think Grey's Anatomy embraces it. Don't get me wrong, first and second season e.r were better written than first and second season Grey's Anatomy, but amidst all of the scalpels and heartaches of Grey's Anatomy, its just an earnest soap opera. For example, the names. On e.r. the bad boy love hearthrob was named Dr. Doug Ross...as far as soap names go, it would rate a 6 or so. On Grey's Anatomy, you've got Dr. Derek Shepherd..that name merits a 9 on the soap name scale. Grey's Anatomy has a Dr. Preston Burke while e.r had a Dr. Peter Benton (pretty good name but Dr. Preston Burke still wins).In the first episode of e.r. a nurse tries to commit suicide...we find out its the ex-girlfriend of one of the residents. In Grey's anatomy, Dr Grey sleeps with her boss's boss......and so on and so forth. Anyway, I'll just say this...Hospital soap operas can be delightful.
13 comments:
I knew a guy in high school named Rick Turner. I always thought "Dr. Rick Turner" would be the perfect hospital soap name.
i'm more of a scrubs fan... ridiculous medicine is what entertains me.
I *heart* McDreamy
McDreamy makes me wanna McChucky .. hah . . but I can't stop watching .. why why
I would liken this to my fond affection for Gilmore Girls. Sure, it's sudsy, but the clothes, the quaint houses, the witty writing!
Hmmm, this explains why I probably can't get into it, it's clearly meant for the 1-4pm viewing audience, hehe. I thought it was way to melodramatic, and that was just the previews I would see, ha. Plus I don't find any of the women so hot that people keep fussing over. It reminds me of the Ally McBeal fever, I never got that either. It's times like this I'm happy to be a guy and immune to these things!!! :)
Aisy: Before two weeks ago, I would definitely have said I was a scrubs fan too.
Trude: Did you ever watch west wing? McDreamy is Sam Seabourne(Rob Lowe's character) with a scalpel.
SJ: Gilmore Girls? Ugh.
Steve: You liken us to the 1-4 crowd? I'm insulted!
what happened to the off of scrubs mood? was it grey's anatomy or something completely seperate?
rubyg: The 1-4 mantra isn't the death sentence. And you know you can't say shows like ER, The OC, and even this one are too far removed from their daily cousins, just the theatrics are quite as trite. And besides, I CAN say this b/c Freshman year I was a huge Days of Our Lives fan, haha. Seriously, Bo and Hope are a modern day Romeo and Juliet, haha.
aisy: Yeah, Scrubs went from being everyone's favorite to, 'what was that show again?' Not sure why, I still love it and catch the reruns whenever I can.
I'm still a Scrubs fan. I enjoy it, and its more entertaining than 99.9 percent of the sitcoms out there. Seriously, what's the deal with these sitcoms?
The biggest reason I think people don't watch Scrubs as much is that NBC has yanked it around so much. Its a mid-season replacement, it moves around, its just tough to find.
You watched Days? Days? Oh, that's funny. I watched it for a total of two weeks in fifth grade one summer. Days? ;)
Everyone, women and men watched e.r. the first couple of seasons. I don't think you can compare e.r the first season or two with e.r. the past several seasons.
The OC? I was a fan for all of five or six episodes. Nothing happens in that show.
I was hoping you'd give us a top ten list of the best soap opera names.
Siiiiigh... oh well.
George cluny is cuter older, I think.
My roomates are Grey's addicts, McDreamy is a babe. I haven't really gotten beyond the lusting to the addiction though because blood on medical t.v. shows still makes me queasy :)Funny how the guys at our local hosptial do not look like that though...just pudgy married guys.
I did watch west wing.. and that was because Rob Lowe was in it ! .. he was my first brat pack crush .. all I can remember is his rosy cheeks (the cheeks on his face, I never did get to see his infamous video)
Post a Comment