Friday, October 06, 2006

Based on True Events?

Although I have zero desire to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, I was intrigued when the preview claimed it was based on true events. Exactly what true events could have happened in Texas to inspire that horror franchise, I wondered? Intrigued, I looked it up on Wiki and found that it was indeed based on one Ed Gein, the same individual that loosely inspired Pyscho, Deranged, and The Silence of the Lambs.

Unlike Leatherface, Ed Gein did not use a chainsaw, he acted alone but he did wear human skin (see the Silence of the Lambs tie-in?).
As far as Psycho goes, the creator of the film denies that Norman Bates was based on Gein, but since the film came out, there's been speculation that the Hitchcock masterpiece was based on Gein (I could see the connection just reading the wiki biography). Anyway, the wiki entry on Gein is disturbing, but if you like reading freaky stuff, here's the link (warning: this is disturbing)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ew! Gross! At least it may have only been based on one completely deranged individual and not several. But seriously, blah!

Unknown said...

Sounds like the theme of "Thriller," the UofU dancers do up at Abraveanel hall this time of year. I don't think it had to do with this, but I saw a clip on t.v. of someone (movie obviously) getting murdered by being shoved in an automatic wood chopper. Sick.

aisy said...

that was all sorts of nasty... and informative.

Joy said...

Esperanza, that's Fargo. Actually one of my favorite movies of all time. I'm not a fan of the slasher movies, but I dig a pyschological thriller. Silence of the lambs (tv version--the unedited is too disturbing) is a favorite film also as is psycho.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a truly bizarre story! I've always been curious what that was all about, and now I know!

It's scary being a parent because you want to "over-love" your babies so they don't end up serial killers.... but at the same time, over loving them may send them to therapy anyway to help them get over their crazy, over-bearing parents!

*sigh*