Thursday, January 04, 2007

Spotlight Music

I'm going to try and group all of the articles and .mp3 links I think that are worth mentioning in a weekly post.

Tom Waits-"Lie to Me"

I've mentioned Tom Waits at least once or twice the past month, but since there's no one cooler than Waits and NPR agrees, here he is again. The song is "Lie to me" and its the type of song you immediately notice on a album. NPR calls it "130 seconds of rock bliss" and that's as accurate of a statement as I could come up with. They also state, " the vocals...lift Waits out of the gutter long enough for him to channel the ghost of some long-dead early rock idol. Or a composite of ten of them." You'll listen to it, and then listen to it again, and it'll make you giddy as a schoolgirl(boy).
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6696994

There's a video too:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/39621/Video_Premiere_Tom_Waits_Lie_to_Me



Nellie McKay-"Glaad"
Another NPR Song of the Day gem is Nellie McKay's "Glaad." I've been a Nellie McKay fan for nearly 3 years now, since 04's consistent album "Get Away from me." She's matured since then, and her new album is even more fun and touching than her first. "Glaad" showcases her sultry voice, while many of her material aptly gives her the material the label, "lunatic fireball appeal." She's often compared to Bette Midler, Doris Day, Joni Mitchell and Eminem and there's no doubt she's extremely talented.
As NPR says about Gladd," McKay sings a friend to a peaceful death over a simple series of piano chords that gently push forward with minimal ornamentation."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6719830

"Gladd" Nellie McKay
lyrics

It's been a long time coming
But I know you are the one
Here at home at last the days have ceased
It's been a long time coming
And I know we've just begun
All the pain has passed and there is peace
If the breath was warm and tender
Now the breath becomes a yawn
And I've been returned to sender
And I'm better since I'm gone…
It's been a long time coming
But I know you are the one
Here with time erased
I'm at my best
It's been a long time coming
And I know we've just begun
Without a pretty face
I can just rest
But the march is still ongoing
I can hear the drummers' roll
And it can't show signs of slowing
It is true, dear, it's my soul…
It's been a long time coming
But I know you are the one
Here at home at last the days have ceased
It's been a long time coming
And I know we've just begun
All the pain has passed and there is peace.


Motown Songwriters
Even before I knew what Motown was, I've been a fan. Smokey Robinson (and the Miracles) (Thai, I don't think you know this, but we share not only Dylan but Smokey too), the Temptations, etc. Yeah, I'm a fan (small wonder "The Blues Brothers" is my favorite SNL movie-but I digress). NPR did a great piece today about the Motown Songwriters, and how that they were a step in the evolution of the american popular song and were inspired by the great american standards from the 20's-40s, creating music that arguably stands up to many of the standards. I mean, Dylan has called Robinson "America's greatest poet."


The article mentions the book about the Motown songwriters and includes an excerpt from the book. Bonus? This article contains 9 songs to stream on the webpage.

"Aint nothin' like the real thing" Marvin Gaye and Tami Terrell? Check.
"The Tracks of my Tears Smokey Robinson and the Miracles? Check http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6644331


Ramblin' Jack Elliot
Ramblin' Jack Elliot has the distinction of being one of the few performers alive that sang with the god (if i were a pagan polytheist), Woody Guthrie. He's 75 now, and his new album, "I stand Alone" made quite a few "folkie" 2006 best of lists. Pitchfork.com has a single, "Careless Darling," from the album available for download.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

That NPR article... what a find! *tear* Beautiful, just beautiful!