Monday, June 18, 2007

I'm off to worship this week

I'm out until Saturday or Sunday to make the pilgrimage to the Church of Baseball. Although we're not going to Mecca, the Yanks will be there so its the 2nd best thing. And so will my parents and one sibling. And the Yanks look to finally be pulling their offense together--and I get too see them in the best stadium for hitters. Happy am I to go worship this week.

From one of the top three baseball movies of all time: The other two being......


Annie: I believe in the church of baseball. I've tried all
the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there's 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there's 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance. (she sighs) But it just didn't work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me. I prefer metaphysics to theology. Y'see, there's no guilt in baseball, and it's never boring. (she giggles) Which makes it like sex. There's never been a ballplayer slept with me who didn't have the best year of his career. Making love is like hitting a baseball. You just gotta relax and concentrate. Besides, I'd never
sleep with a player hitting under .250. Not unless he had a lot of RBIs and was a great glove man up the middle. Y'see, there's a certain amount of life wisdom I give these boys. I can expand their minds. Sometimes when I get a ballplayer alone, I'll just read Emily Dickenson or Walt Whitman to him. And the guys are so sweet, they always stay and listen. Of course, a guy'll listen to anything if he thinks it's foreplay. I make them feel confident, and they make me feel safe -- and pretty. 'Course what I give them lasts a lifetime. What they give me lasts a 142 games. Sometimes it seems like a bad trade. But bad trades are part
of baseball. Who can forget Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas, for god's sake! It's a long season, and you gotta trust it. I've tried them all, I really have. And, the only church that feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the church of baseball.

5 comments:

HOO said...

I love that monologue as you well know. My second favorite quote from Bull Durham is:
Annie, I know you're in there, I can hear that crazy Mexican singer.

Steve said...

Ha, MY favorite line from Bull Durham is when Susan Sarandon is is sleeping with Tim Robbins but calls him by Kevin Costner's character's name, to which Tim Robbins gets upset and Susan retorts:
"Honey, would you rather I were making love to him using your name, or making love to you using his name?"

Steve said...

Oh, and the best baseball movie is still Hot Shots!!!

Lucy Stern said...

I like "Field of Dreams". "Go the Distance"!!! Will you see Roger Pitch?

Joy said...

Yeah, I saw the Rocket pitch...and get a base hit. Steve--all the great lines, and that's your fave? Hot Shots?!?