Saturday, July 28, 2007

Spotlight Music:

Album Reviews:
So, 2007 isn't disappointing in the world of music at all. In fact, I've been just enjoying all the new albums and some new groups and have neglected to writing about them.
Anyway, here's some reviews of a few bands...I'll probably elaborate more about these albums, but not right now.

Wilco: "Sky Blue Sky" I agree its Wilco's most accessible album of this decade. A little more uneven than his last three albums, but there's still gems to be found. The intro to the first album? This Dylan fan loves it.

Ryan Adams "Easy Tiger," Still am in love with the album name. The unevenness of all of his albums kills me. That being said, there's several songs on this album that floor me---and "Halloween Head" is great. Still not the masterpiece album this guy has the talent to put out...but I'm optimistic that he will.

White Stripes "Icky Thump"--This one has grown on me a lot. Love it-love the whole album--and the "weirdness" isn't a put off at all.

Rufus Wainwright "Release the Stars," Personally, I think its one of his three best albums. Ever. Its right up there with "Want Two" and "Poses."

Hairspray
I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Musicals have been a "love" of mine since I was a little kid. This one was just a fun show. Dialog was corny/witty and fun. This movie better get an oscar nom for costume--there were at least four or five dresses I was lusting after. My girl Queen Latifah shined as always. John Travolta was distracting until halfway through. Watching him dance with Walken? Highlight of the film. Walken was awesome as always. Walken dancing? We didn't get enough! Michelle Pfeiffer was perfect as the villain, but I would've like to hear more Baltimore accents. The actual storyline is more than a thin veneer to hang songs on it. The theme of the show is a powerful one. Anyway, it was great to see kids who weren't 25-35 playing the teenagers. The guy who played Seaweed? Hottest guy on the screen. Anyway, the girl who played Nicki Turnblad was infectious.



The Wait Won't kill you, The Excitement Might Though

2 comments:

Dainon. said...

Wilco is amazing. It's one of my fave albums of theirs. Ryan ... is growing on me. White Stripes ... haven't spent enough time with to allow it to resonate. But I'm totally with you on Rufus. It goes down right nice, when I hadn't expected it would so well.

Steve said...

I heard the new White Stripes single on the radio yesterday (98 Rock) and thought it was pretty good.