Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Craft Vote

So, although I've vowed to myself I won't follow the 2008 Election until 2008, this article spoke to me. Jessica Vitkus with Slate makes the astute observation that a whole generation of hipsters are crafting it up and the diy vote can no longer be ignored. She even challenged the Presidential Candidates to a craft-off, Oh how that would be pretty much the best debate ever. With Martha Stewart and the original Wonkette (just because) as moderators of course. She even gives the candidates 10 ideas, 5 Republicrafts and 5 Democrafts. Because several of these are brilliant, here they are below.


Republicraft #1: The DHS Security Blanket. The names of each bar are embroidered on the blanket so not to be mistaken as a Gay Pride blankie.
Republicraft #2: Money is pretty, Thanks to the Republicans we get to keep more to spend on bedazzling equipment of course. And, just as I would do, Benjamin has an earring.
Republicraft#4: Handstitched with love, few NRA-ers would be caught dead without a gun cozy. It'll have to be pried out of their cold, dead hands.
Democraft #1: burning a flag while protecting your hands with these oven mitts? These multi-purpose oven mitts are a dream come true.

Dem Craft #2: Yes, you recycle, but do you have a recycle bin made out of recycled products? One-up the neighbors with this recycled-recycle bin.

Dem Craft#3: Just what every Democratic home needs, a God-Free Cross Stitch Sampler.

Dem Craft #4: What every stylish, sexual active woman needs, a handy RU-486 necklace/carrying case.

Jennifer Vitkus photos and commentary (for the most part)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL. Thanks for the coming relief today! I need ones of those necklaces. Jk

HOO said...

The gun cozy is my favorite. Great post.

Mrs. Small House said...

Oh my gosh! I can't decide which is my favorite, the gun cosy or the recycled recycle bin. They're all awesome!
Oh, but that quilt still looks like a gay pride quilt.

Unknown said...

Lol. I loved the flag oven mits.

ADDollhouse said...

HOLY FUNNY.

Bonfire said...

i'm totally going to make that security blanket!

awesome post. love it!

Daisy Paige said...

The 'Craft Vote' - what wit!

Thanks for posting this. I needed a hearty laugh this morning.