Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The Neil Niche

Almost every week you hear about the new Dylan whether the genre of music is folk, alt-country, rock or even rap (Dylan rapping, huh). But, when was the last time you heard of the next Neil Diamond?
Although Josh Ritter has been called Dylan-like, Dylanesque or the new Dylan in almost every review of Ritter I've read, I've yet to read a Neil Diamond comparison. I was a little surprised to hear this gem on "Hello Starling." While Josh Ritter is more than Neil Diamond impressions, this song indicates he should definitely revisit this little niche he's created for himself from time to time. Check out the song below:


Man Burning-Josh Ritter

6 comments:

amelia said...

hello starling was my introduction to josh ritter. i love it.

i think i have four ritter albums; are there more?

Joy said...

Hello Starling was actually my intro to Josh too, but the person who owned the album never burned me a copy. I think he skipped songs though when he played it while I was in the car with him, because a few of them were new to me though.

There's 6. There's his first album released in '99 and then a live album released only in Ireland. I've just got the four albums though.

ADDollhouse said...

I have become SUCH a fan of Ritter, and it is all because of you. Girl in the War is still my fave but I think I love it all.

Anonymous said...

Hey . . .I like Neil Diamond. Does that date me?

Unknown said...

not a fan of neil daimond...

Joy said...

Guy, Neil's 2005 album was one of my favorites. Still a great album.

Kip-Glad you like him.

No Surf-Yes, but what about Neil Diamond? Neil's actually a decent songwriter. Rick Rubin had him write all the songs on his 2005 album and its great.