Sunday, December 09, 2007

Can't Stop Listening

I haven't been watching very many shows this year. I catch Friday Night Lights, 30 Rock, and an episode of "Ugly Betty" here and there online. I fell for Friday Night Lights last season, and if you haven't watched the first season, you should check it out..if you like quality television. The show follows the players, the girlfriends, the coach and his family of a small town West Texas high school football team. The show somehow succeeds in not being a soap,even with all the twists. The acting is superb, the scripts are strong and the first season from start to finish is some of the best television I've seen in several years. Not to mention, the show highlights a lot of great intelligent bands (like well Grey's, but a better choice of music imo)The second season started out a little slow, but the last several episodes have been great. Landry, (the guy above) who was a bit of an annoyance last season has turned into one of the best assets of the show. As I was watching the second to last episode aired, the song below was played and it resonated with me. Granted, my father's never been to prison, my brothers are still alive, but the song and lyrics especially hit a nerve. So this holiday season when you're waiting for the writers show to give you new episodes of (gag) heroes or can't wait until Lost starts up in February, check out the first season of Friday Night Lights, or watch an episode or two online. Let me know how it goes for ya.




SEA WOLF - I Made a Resolution
well I woke up this morning
and I made a resolution,
I said "never going to sing another sad song again."

I decided I'd admit it,
I'm not an intellectual,
though the words never come easy unless I'm singing them,
and the hills that I was born in will never leave me no matter how hard I try.

and then my brother was murdered
while my father was in prison,
and the girl that I sometimes loved up and moved away,
and my body filled up with blackness, and the darkness it wanted to drown me, and I heard my father's footsteps catching up to me,
and he took me by the shoulders and he said "son, my hands are strong, but I hope you have the strength to shake us free, shake us free boy, shake us free my son, you better shake us free."

(breakdown)

and now I'm lying in the van,
chicago in the springtime,
and the rain outside was falling sounds just like popcorn,
but before I open my eyes I think I make this resolution, "no I'm never gonna sing another sad song for as long as I live"

and the light coming through the windows is making everything glow
and he took me by the shoulders and he said "son my hands are strong, but I hope you have the strength to shake us free, shake us free, shake us free, shake us free my son."
I made a resolution
I made a resolution
I made a resolution
I made a resolution

9 comments:

Steve said...

Is that actor/singer or whomever he is supposed to look like a retarded Matt Damon?

Joy said...

Isn't that kind of redundant? ;)

Anonymous said...

Matt Damon!

Unknown said...

I'm proud to say (claim) that it was me who introduced you to FNL. Best drama on TV.

Joy said...

Bryan, I've noticed that the only time you post on here is to claim you've introduced (pestered) me to something. Maybe you should branch out sometime. ;)

Darin said...

I would vote, but my favorite tv show isn't an option. Of those listed, I have only seen 30 Rock, and would have to see more than the one episode I did to determine if I like it.

Joy said...

Darin, why don't you watch Friday Night Lights or 30 Rock (I have both sets of dvds) and then you'll find they are vastly superior shows to the Office. ;)

I changed the poll for you. Now you can vote;)

ShaBANG said...

baby Bang and I love FNL. We also love "One Tree Hill." I wonder if they cancel each other out. One is scandalously soup, but we absolutely love it.

Joy said...

shabang-yeah, I think they could cancel each other out.