Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration: Yes We Did

Yes, I attended the Inauguration events on the National Mall this past weekend.

From Winter 2009

There was no way I was going to miss the Concert on Sunday. I was planning to just do this for the Inauguration. With U2, Garth Brooks (Yes, Garth Brooks, I like his first couple of albums), Bruce Springsteen, Pete Seeger, Beyonce, Usher and others, there was no way I could miss it. Not to mention Jack Black, Steve Carrell, Tom Hanks, Samuel L. Jackson and others doing readings? Awesome.

From Winter 2009

I still find it hard to believe that there were only 400k people there.

From Winter 2009

I work in the first building to the right. Even after the 4th, I've never seen DC streets filled up like this. The coolest thing though? We waltzed onto the first metro and got a seat.

From Winter 2009

I decided to go to the Inauguration at about 9:30 day of with Kell. She thought we'd get on the metro no problem. Well, we were the only two that got onto this car from our station. We were packed like sardines, but the people around us were sweet.

From Winter 2009

We got off at Arlington Cemetary and walked over Memorial Bridge. Did I mention it was cold? That's a frozen Potomac. Oh, and did I mention I wasn't wearing my thermals so I didn't really get warm after the event until evening? Yeah, I'm not so smart.

From Winter 2009

Kelli and I during the Inauguration Ceremony. We just went over to the Lincoln to watch the event from the jumbotron. Still pretty cool. The speech was pretty great too. My favorite part was the excerpt about the unclenched fist.

From Winter 2009

View from the Arlington Cemetary Metro Stop. We weren't the only ones with the idea to get off here. Funny though, we got onto a train with no problem. Very nice.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

So Jealous.

I'm glad you got to enjoy it, though. Yeah, from what I saw on TV I was pretty glad, actually, that I didn't have to stand in line from 12:30 am like some of those craaaaazy people.

Also loved the speech. I liked the part where he said that your people will judge you by what you build, not what you destroy.

Unknown said...

Wow, awesome. News reports here said attendee numbers were in the over 1 million. Y'all looked like a sea. We had a presidential pancake party at my house that morning. People still had to work but the whole day felt like a holiday anyway.

aisy said...

i thought of you yesterday and wondered if you went to see it "live". very cool

ChelMo said...

I'm SO jealous! Bella and I went to my sister's house to watch. I made her sit through the speech - twice. She adores Obama, even though her grandma is continually trying to convince her that he was really born in Kenya.

I liked the clenched fist line as well. It really struck me as almost biblical.

Steve said...

I was wondering if you went! We couldn't, but watched of course! I thought Garth Brooks was the best part of the concert, but don't tell anyone! ;-)

Putz said...

well my politics back here in utar is still showing and bothering people in my rural town, but i can admit to you since you are so far away that i cried a little durning his O's SPEECH ...i like when he talks pure and simple

Boo said...

Great photos! I am so glad you and Kelli enjoyed the inaugural activities. I also like your hair. It's getting so long.