Thursday, April 15, 2010

Random Thoughts:

Work: I still feel a little like Max from Rushmore; you know, the kid who signs up for all those extracurricular activities? Except, I'm not the one who is volunteering myself for projects, teams and new assignments on top of my regular duties. That being said, I'm glad I have a job, and these new assignments are interesting. Plus I'm meeting a bunch of new people. I like that.

Earthquakes: I received the following in a work e-mail today. I thought I'd pass it along:
Earthquake Activity not Abnormal
Source: U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) - April 14, 2010
Scientists for the US Geological Survey indicate that 2010 is not showing signs of unusually high earthquake activity. Since 1900, an average of sixteen (16) magnitude 7 or greater earthquakes — the size that seismologists define as major — have occurred worldwide each year. Some years have had as few as 6, as in 1986 and 1989, while 1943 had 32, with considerable variability from year to year.
With six major earthquakes striking in the first four months of this year, 2010 is well within the normal range. Furthermore, from April 15, 2009, to April 14, 2010, there have been 18 major earthquakes, a number also well within the expected variation.
Aftershocks will continue in the regions around each of this year’s major earthquakes sites. It is unlikely that any of these aftershocks will be larger than the earthquakes experienced so far, but structures damaged in the previous events could be further damaged and should be treated with caution. Beyond the ongoing aftershock sequences, earthquakes in recent months have not raised the likelihood of future major earthquakes; that likelihood has not decreased, either. Large earthquakes will continue to occur just as they have in the past.

Glee: I finally got around to watching the first disc of "Glee" and I liked it okay. The show is fun, doesn't take itself too seriously and I'm a sucker for the covers. I can't say I'll actually follow it on Hulu, but I might netflix the 2nd season. After the episode with Kurt joining the football team, I realized I don't need to hear the song "Single Ladies" for a while though. Yeah, I'm slower than the rest of you, I'm sure. (although the video of the family singing to this song on youtube? Must-see).

Beckett: Last night Kelli and I went to the French Embassy to watch a Samuel Beckett play, "First Love (Premier Amour) " performed by a renowned French actor (with English subtitles). Powerful, disturbing play about a homeless guy who has a sexual relationship with a prostitute. Yes, it's not for everyone, but wow, it was pretty powerful stuff, and I like art that expands my world-view without actually being a prostitute who has an affair with a homeless person.

No comments: