I mentioned to my sister in law that I had a decent lentil sloppy joes recipe so she asked for it. I then realized I took pictures of the recipe way back this Spring with the intention of blogging it. So here it is. It's really quite good and don't let the amount of ingredients intimidate, the recipe comes together in a flash! Easy enough for a weekday dinner! These are so good, my dad would love them (he has a thing against lentils).
Sloppy Lentil Joes
• 1 cup French lentils
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 small onion, peeled and diced
• 1-2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
• ¾ cup tomato puree
• 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
• 1½ tablespoons light brown sugar
• ½ tablespoon honey
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• ½ teaspoon spicy chili powder
• ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Whole wheat tortillas/wraps
• Lettuce or baby spinach for garnish
Place lentils into a medium-sized pot. Fill pot with water and stir in a good pinch of salt. Cook the lentils for about 15-20 minutes or until they are cooked through. Drain remaining water from the pot and set aside.
Heat oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add onions and cook until they just turn translucent. Add carrots cook until they are tender crisp. Add the cooked lentils to the skillet and then stir in the tomato puree, vinegar, brown sugar, honey, mustard, chili powder, and smoked paprika. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook until the sauce has thickened up a bit.