Thursday, June 28, 2012

#42-How to Hepburn*

I picked up this book because it was a Kindle Deal of the Day, and I've always been more of a Kate than an Audrey fan. Oh, I like Audrey just fine, and I admire's Audrey clothes, but I've always gravitated towards Kate-even her "horrible" films in the 30's. So, I thought this book would be fun. Well, jogging my memory about Katharine Hepburn's life story was fun. I didn't learn much about Kate's history having read her memoirs and the biography written shortly after she died but it's been several years so I enjoyed re-reading about her. However, The author gets in trouble though with the basic premise. It's extremely hard to write a "self-help" book about someone who defies categorization and didn't live a flawless life. The author flounders almost immediately and the book turns into a dis-jointed mishmash of anecdotes from K. Hepburn's life. That being said, the author does write pretty well. She has a decent voice but fumbles and borders on being preachy when she tries to prescribes a life like Kate. However, by the end of the movie I yearned to watch The Philadelphia Story, Bringing up Baby and The African Queen again (okay, for probably the 100th time).  






*The Title to this blog isn't a reference to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. No, I'm going to attempt to write a paragraph or two about each book I've read so far this year. Yes, this was my 42nd book this year. Trust me, I'm not bragging about that. I hope this project doesn't bore my 5 readers to death. I really hope I'm able to complete it. 

1 comment:

Steve said...

I always enjoy your book/tv/movie reviews! :)

Oh, from doing my family research, I've learned that I am related to Kate! Although, quite distantly! I don't know which is our most recent common ancestor, but one of my ancestors (we're talking early 1700's) is also one of hers.