I've had a few days of rest in my own bed, I don't have quite the urge to speak spanish to people on the street, and I've actually unpacked (but not put away everything). Time to start with the recap. I'll start with the best of Mexico 2006 posts.
Best Mural: Although we didn't get a chance to see the rediculously large amount of murals at the Department of Education building in museum, we did see several murals throughout downtown Mexico City. Although its not a great picture, (and I don't think I have one of my actual favorite-the history of mexico by Diego Rivera) this one will have to do. This is Diego Rivera's "Man controller of the Universe" mural which Rockefeller ordered destroyed since it displays capitalism as evil and communism (complete with Lenin) as good. Heady stuff.

Best Security Guard: I arrived to the airport almost 2 hours early. I made sure there was nothing inside my carry-ons that were liquid, I was nice to the guy in line who was wellmeaning but actually asked me in english if I understood a sign (that was in english and spanish--I'm still confused). However when our gate still wasn't listed 45 minutes before the flight, I started to worry. About 40 minutes before the flight, we were informed our gate was on the other side of the airport (10 minute walk). About 15 minutes before our flight, there were actually people at the gate, and we were informed that everyone would be patted down and then each bag would be combed through. While the guard went through our bags, we were required to turn on all electronics, so this picture was taken. The security guard was nice through it all however, so he defnitely gets the award of best security guard. Oh, our flight was 1 hour 20 minutes late.

Best Volcano. In Cholula (near Puebla) we had the opportunity to check out the church on top of the hill (actually a pyramid which may or may not be the largest pyramid in the americas by volume). We then toured several of the 365 churches in Puebla (Cortez's men killed 6000 Cholulan indigenous in one day after a supposed uprising in the town. After the slaughter, Cortez vowed he'd build 365 churches. they weren't finished until last century but 500 years later, the town has 365 churches.) and I was able to snap this picture of Popocatépetl (17,802). If you look closely you can see a part of the mountain close to the summit.
Best Nacho Libre scenery: Remember this church from your favorite summer flick, Erin? Yes, we found the Nacho Libre church. Kell and I were checking out the church in town when Kelli decided to look over the valley. She then yelled at me and we saw this church. we took a mototaxi over there and the boys who took us up confirmed that it was indeed where the movie was filmed.
1 comment:
Wow, Mexico looks pretty awesome. I always imagine it looking like the US/Mexico border, haha. You'd think after all my travels I'd be a little less stereotypical about geography.
I wish you had a better pic of the mural. That is right up my alley!!! I'll have to look for a print of that.
Post a Comment