Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Today's Shoutout has been brought to you by the letters NV HP

Thank you NV Highway Patrol for capturing Warren Jeffs.

From the Washington Post:

When Trooper Eddie Dutchover walked up to the vehicle, something seemed amiss. Jeffs said the group had stayed in Las Vegas for a night, but they had too much luggage, Dutchover told The Associated Press. Jeffs also offered a contact lens receipt from Florida with the name John Findley as identification, the trooper said.
"Something was obviously wrong," Dutchover said. "I even told him, 'You're making me nervous. Is everything OK?'"
"Once the FBI got there ... he gave his full name, Warren Jeffs, and kind of gave a sigh," the trooper said.
No weapons were found in the vehicle, but authorities said they found three wigs, 15 cell phones, letters to "President Warren Jeffs," $54,000 in cash and $10,000 in gift cards.

From the Deseret News

The trooper thought the man in the passenger seat looked similar to the fugitive polygamist. FBI agents said Jeffs gave an alias, saying his name was "John Findley" and producing a contact lens receipt from Florida as proof of identification.
The trooper called for back-up. A pair of FBI agents were summoned to the scene.
"You know who I am," Jeffs is reported to have said.
"Who are you?" an FBI agent asked.
"I'm Warren Jeffs."
"What did you say?"
"I'm Warren Jeffs."

Authorities said Jeffs was taken into custody without incident. The 50-year-old man was booked into the Clark County Jail in Las Vegas at 5:07 a.m. on a pair of out-of-state warrants issued in Utah and Arizona.

I'm still surprised he was put on the FBI Top Ten list in May along with Osama Bin Laden but considering how many lives have been destroyed by Warren Jeffs, how much money the FLDS church has skimmed from the Government I fully support that move. So, the LDS church will be in the spotlight again because of the crazy polygamists in the southwest...this man finally will be brought to justice. Oh, and it still makes me mad that anyone would have the audacity to call this a trial between religious and secular laws.

More about Jeffs from the Deseret News

9 comments:

Steve said...

I of course didn't hear about this over here!!! Thanks for breaking the news to me and I'm glad he is caught. One less wacko on the streets!!!

Guy Murray said...

Ruby, So what are your thoughts on the likelihood of an actual Jeffs' conviction?

Joy said...

I wish they had a stronger case against him. I know that the Utahs AG's office has been working on this case for at least 4 years, but right now from what I've read about the actual case, I'm a little nervous

Guy Murray said...

yeah . . . after reading this story I'm wondering how the Jeffs case is going to play out. But it's fascinating to read.

A little off topic . . but what's up w/ you and Dan over on his site? Seems like you've been exchanging some pretty heated comments!

Joy said...

I'm enough of a cj nut, that its going to be really interesting to follow this case. I do hope they have a solid enough case that it doesn't turn into a media circus.

Dan and I have history (I'm sure its obvious). I've been a moderator on linkup for a couple of years maybe and he was consistently a problem on the politics boards. The owner of the site finally had to make a decision whether or not to let Dan continue on the site so Dan resigned. (its a little different version than what he says, but that's what happened)

We've actually been friends for several years and I was actually one of his "staunch" allies--I didn't let people say unfair things about him.

Unfortunately, I snapped yesterday for whatever reason. I feel a little badly about it, but we've talked on e-mail about it--unfortunately, I'm not sure if he really wants to listen to what I'm saying. He never listened to myself, other moderators or the Site owner (who ironically is liberal and jewish) on Linkup unfortunately. Anyway, Dan is a good guy.

Joy said...

thanks for the court tv link. Yeah, I'm not sure about how its going to play out either. Oh by the way, the post you wrote about the Jeff's case is really comprehensive and interesting. It was really a pleasure to read as were the comments.

Guy Murray said...

Ruby G: Media circus I'm postive it will be; but, as you point out it will be absolutely fascinating to watch it play out over the next several months . . . perhaps years if he pleads not guilty and waives speedy trial. Unfortunately I think the Church will get its unfair share of unflattering publicity out of it all.

Yeah I hope you and Dan make up soon and continue your long friendship. He seems like a pretty nice guy--though I've only met him through blogging. I used to get pretty worked up about politics--and still have some pretty strong political views. But, in reality I don't think it matters one bit in the long term scheme of things. I'm more and more convinced we have begun the long process of decline here in America. Unless things change drastically, I don't see things getting better before they get much, much worse. The only bright spot is the Church and Restored Gospel. Oh well!

Glad you liked my write up on the Jeff's case. I got pretty emersed in it as the story broke and just couldn't stop watching the coverage and blogging about it!

Guy Murray said...

I thought I saw another response from you on this thread last night . . .but perhaps not. I'm out of town at a legal convention and was too tired to respond. Oh well.

Joy said...

Oh, Sorry. I wrote a response, deleted it, wrote another one, blogger was acting up, and then forgot to write it again. I'm sorry about that.

Anyway, yeah I think there'll be a media circus. I just hope the case is strong enough to hold up.

I don't know if I messed up my friendship with Dan or not. He's a good guy and his wife is wonderful. I've met them both once, very nice people.

Yeah its funny, my dad is the same way about politics (but my dad is conservative). I've hated riding in the car with him since high school because he forces me to listen to Limbaugh. I've followed politics for a long time, and try to keep up on current events, but the polemics and insults on both sides drive me crazy.

Yeah, I agree that we're already starting our slow decline. I also think that policy and decisions made by governments around the world and our own now and in the past 10 years are really going to have unforseen (or seen) consequences.

Hope you had a good time at the law conference!