Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The only church that feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the church of baseball.

Labor Day weekend and the plan was to celebrate the last real weekend of summer by renting a house on the Outer Banks. I was ready to sign on the house, thought i probably had enough people to stay and ended up staying home after following the weather. Turns out that OBX weather was nicer than here, but I think it worked out for the best. Friday I picked up Chino (a wanderlust friend of mine that stayed a few days here) and we met up with the roommates for dinner at dali dhaba. On the way back we saw a transformer start to blow (pretty spectacular and then went to rent a few movies (kiss kiss bang bang, three burials, and v for vendetta). I'm pretty sure the center of the depression came over about 10, because all of a sudden we saw a couple of flashes of green lightning. The first time I saw green lightning was when Isabel hit three years ago, apparently the green color may come from preferential scattering of certain wavelengths of light by hail of a certain size. In some thunderstorm situations the hail can be quite monodisperse (in size) and because of the vagaries of MIE scattering and geometric optics, it is possible to get a lot of green light coming from certain clouds. I also read that its just the lightning reflecting off the walls of the storm, whatever it is, its pretty cool. Anyway, Saturday we went to a matinee with Kelli, and then Chino and I wandered down to the mall and checked out a couple of Smithsonian museums. I was disappointed that more than half of the American Art museum was already closed off, but then I saw Kermit and one of Klinger's outfits and that more than made up for it.

We scored free tickets to a baseball game (thanks Rae) so after spanish sacrament on Sunday, we saw the Nats play the Diamondbacks. From the first of the game I was really impressed with their new aquisition, Nook Logan. He's athletic, young, as quick (my coworker says he's quicker) as Soriano, the Nats are going to have a formidable outfield next year if they can hang onto these guys in the off season. the first 8 innings the game was like this:

The Nats were down 3-1 bottom of the 8th, and then by the end of the 8th, the score was 5-3. They were able to hang onto the lead and ended up winning at that score.



By the end of the game, we were both excited, happy to see great baseball. Monday we tagged along with two of my roommates Jannelle, Megan and Megan's friend Brant to Monticello. Thomas Jefferson's house is still there, its still impressive, and the clock/calendar is working.
Happy first day of FallPosted by Picasa

No comments: