Friday, April 13, 2007

Dog people, cat people

Last night, I had a choice between seeing a play or a free screening of "Year of the Dog." Late in the afternoon, I chose to see the film partly because I really wanted to see it and it was well, free. After getting up there and we were led to our seats, it was announced that Mike White was going to take questions afterwards. Its always been a little dream of mine to meet Mike for some reason, you could even say I have a little crush on him or at the very least--I make it a point to watch eve
ry film he writes. Anyway, because Year of the Dog had been getting early buzz, it was being marketed as a romantic comedy (I should have known better) and I really liked the cast-I was looking forward to the film. First off, its not a romantic comedy. The film is about love but not in a "love means never having to say you're sorry," Ali McGraw dying tragically kind of way.
Its more about realizing what you love and what you're obsession is and being okay with it. Anyway, its an unsettling film, but well done. After the film Mike White was cute, funny, a little offbeat and charming. A great way to spend the evening.


3 comments:

Steve said...

Do prĂȘt ell what was "unsettling" about it without giving away any spoilers please. :) Sounds like a 'feel good' movie where everyone learns to love themselves in a 'I Heart Huckabees' kind of way.

Joy said...

It sort of is....but it isn't.

For a single woman who just reached her 30s there's some scenes that are enough true to life its unsettling. Almost every single girl who likes animals secret dread is to be cat lady....even those of us who hate cats.

ADDollhouse said...

It's true... I am not even a cat person, per say, but I think we all think about it.