Thursday, April 12, 2007

Spotlight Music

White Stripes
Or as I like to call them now, Elvis and Meg.

Kaiser Chiefs

On Saturday night Rob and I went to see a 3 band show at the 930. The coolest part? The doors opened at 10:00 and the first band started at 10:30. The Walkmen started their set at 11:30 and the Kaiser Chiefs didn't get on until a little after midnight. Yeah, I didn't get home until 2:30 or so. Best Easter Sunday ever. Anyway, the first band was The Annuals. They have some bugs to work out, but they had a good sound. The only real complaint was that you couldn't hear the lyrics over the music. I think we'll hear more from this band in coming years. The Walkmen were the second band. I was looking forward to them, as I've been a casual fan since they put out their first album way back when but I was kind of disappointed. They just didn't sound that great. The Kaiser Chiefs sounded tight though. They are definitely one of those bands where there's one musician that's leading them all--in this band's case its their drummer. The songs sound better live than they do on their albums and they were high energy. At one point the lead singer crowd surfed to the bar--asked the bar tender for a rum and coke I believe, took a couple of sips and then surfed back. They played a good mix from their two albums and it was great. We saw them a few years ago at the Patriot Center and that was memorable. I think they've polished their act since then.

Maria Taylor

Conor Oberst and I have a love-hate relationship (he's not aware of it or me, of course. I adore this album by Maria Taylor that he was involved with. As far as Bright Eyes go, I like a lot of the stuff, but I tire of it fast. He's listed as 67 on the top 100 living songwriters--and for a 27 year old guy, that's not bad. He's talented--and I think he hasn't come close to hitting his peak, I'm just not as big of fan of his stuff as I am of other musicians. However, at the same time; this album by Maria Taylor is great. Solid from the first track to the last--its a pleasant mixture of styles that really works. Check it out!

1 comment:

aisy said...

i'm with you on bright eyes. sometimes i hear one of his songs on my itunes and i think 'wow.' but mostly i think 'how fast can i get to my computer to switch the song.'