Sunday, May 06, 2007

La Alborada or how I became addicted to a Mexican telenovela

Since we decided to go to Peru, I've been reading and watching films in Spanish. I was looking around Netflix one day, and found a telenovela that had a rating of almost four stars. I thought to myself, well I might as well check it out. I got the first two discs (at 3.75 hours each) and put the first one in Friday evening to start watching. Well, I didn't move from the couch for over 3 hours. Kelli came home as I put it in, and she started watching it and didn't move either. Last night, rather than calling someone up to see whats up or go to a party or bbq...we watched another 3 hours of the show. And she has 3 finals coming up next week. Anyway, we watched the rest of the 2nd disc today before church. Well, the first thing my roommate said to a mutual friend when I went to sit by them at church was, "Guess what Joy was doing this weekend?" Um, yeah. The funny thing is that soaps aren't my thing. Oh, I watch Ugly Betty and Grey's but that's kind of different. Kind of.

Anyway, the Alborada is awesome. Its about Luis who was traveling from Spain and stopped in Panama. When they stopped, he was arrested for a murder he didn't commit because he was on the boat when the guy was killed. Well, Luis escapes and jumps a wall into a palace. He's brought to the owner who tells him she'll either turn him over to the authorities or he can be let go if he sleeps with her daughter in law because her son can't perform his matrimonial duties. Luis refuses but then goes along with it all. He tries to escape from her (Hippolita) very dark room, but she's so excited her husband is able to perform that he loses control (his words) and afterwards he explains who he is--she screams, but he's able to escape. He sees her but she doesn't see who he is. Anyway, Luis escapes and goes back to Mexico. Hippolita finds out she's pregnant and hides. Luis knows someone is about to kill him and confronts his mother and cousin. (The cousin, Diego is maybe the best inept villain ever). Hippolita goes to Mexico to find her mother (she's a illigitimate child who was given up when she was born and sent to her grandmother in Panama) after she gives birth to a little boy. This would be the first episode. And there's like 55 episodes or so.

http://pratie.blogspot.com/2005/12/alborada-telenovela-recap.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0459675/


http://www.esmas.com/alborada/

5 comments:

HOO said...

I am so excited! I had this in my queue, but I wasn't sure if I would like it or not! Now I am forwarned: addiction in the offing!

Steve said...

Hmmmm, this sounds like it rates right up there with Mormon romance novels, haha.

Joy said...

Steve, Mormon romance novels suck. This is way cooler than anything Jack Weyland or the others can aspire. There's sex and murders galore in this...Not people sitting around talking about how righteous their future mate is.

Hoo-You'll adore it.

HOO said...

But, gasp, 55 episodes? Never have I attemted such a feat of dvd watching before!

Joy said...

There's 4 discs. 3 hours and 45 minutes each.

Trust me, the time will just fly by.

I was a little sad I didn't do anything cool for Cinco de Mayo and then it dawned on me...I watched a Mexican Soap. Is there a greater tribute to Mexico than that?