Saturday, June 02, 2007

Bringing the Middle-East to the Metro

About 2 or 3 weeks ago when I was walking through my DC metro stop, I noticed a poster with a picture of a little boy (about 2 or 3) wearing stereo-typical middle eastern commando gear and being held by a man holding a machine gun....My first thought was..."what the hell?" and my second thought was, "Yeah, that's not emotionally manipulative." Every time since then when I see the poster, I just shake my head.

Well, I didn't realize this but the Metro Middle-East Propoganda pissy fight started with this poster announcing a rally in DC. A couple of Pro-Israel groups noticed it and it sparked these posters and a debate whether or not Metro should have political posters or not. As Metro says, everything in this town is political, and so they plan to keep their content neutral policy on advertisements.

Personally, I agree with them and think Stand With Us, one of the pro-Israel groups explanation why they placed the ads is a little lame, "We were concerned about the everyday person who would pass these posters with zero information and see the tanks and have a very poisoned image of Israel. Is there many "everyday people" who see propganda for either side that has zero image on Israel? Maybe a 3 year old. And even then, fighting propoganda with more emotionally slanted propoganda? Yeah, that's the way to inform people correctly.


Article used: DC Metro Express
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3400283,00.html
The Original Poster by the ETO.

The ad I see every day at Farragut West Metro Station.

2 comments:

Mrs. Small House said...

Wow. I think I'm just fascinated by the blatantly slanted propoganda. I don't really see anything like that. I think I'd be annoyed seeing it everyday as well. Try to appeal to people's logos a little, would ya?

Joy said...

Admittedly, we get a lot of slanted propoganda on the metro, but DC wouldnt' be DC without it.

However, this little spat between the palestines and the Israeli groups is pathetic.