Friday, September 28, 2007

Caught in a Jam

This story is circulating around the Internet, but the first picture took my breath away. A large brown bear was crossing the Donner Pass Bridge near Lake Tahoe on Highway 40 (yup, that Hwy 40) when cars on the bridge scared him off the edge. Somehow, he caught the ledge, pulled himself up and ended up trapped in the concrete grinder at the highest point. As you can see, he tried to climb down but decided that wasn't a great idea. Rescuers tried to save him on Saturday, but had to leave him there until Sunday when a net was found.



9 comments:

Katz said...

poor bear!

we've got bronson's 1 year well baby check up on the 19th. we'll have to meet up eventually.

Lee said...

That's incredible.

ADDollhouse said...

I AM SO GLAD THEY RESCUED HIM! I realize I am kind of a dork about animals but seeing him in that first picture trapped up there makes me want to cry! So scary! Poor bear.

Trude said...

what's incredible is you have a bear rescue story .. right after your wordless wednesday pics .. of his dead cousins .. haha ..

poor smokey !

Joy said...

Trude-Um, just because I did something my brother asked me to doesn't mean that I endorse the killing of all animals. Silly Aussie.

Trude said...

Oh I didn't think you did ! :-) .. I just thought it was a bit funny .. yes my silly aussie sense of humour ;-p~

Joy said...

Aussie Aussie Aussie!!

Lucy Stern said...

I'm glad they didn't just leave him there to his own fate. It shows that we all need rescuing at some time in our life.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad they saved him...

I know that area very well. My hometown is just down the road. :) Gorgeous area, apparently still populated with brown bears. (Didn't know this... kind of glad I didn't. I was on the high school's cross country ski team and we often ventured into the wilderness.)