Monday, August 03, 2009

Papa Paul's Worms

My dad gardens. I wouldn't call it a hobby, it's his lifestyle. When it's spring to fall and the sun is out-you can always find him outside in the yard (his mom was the same way). He also studied entymology in school so I really wasn't surprised if I got the following pictures and captions from him. The captions are all my dad.


Tomato bugs lurking in your garden!

They like tomatoes. Oh yeah, they are called tomato worms.

I know you can't see this very well, but the tomato killed this worm.

Different variety of tomato worm. Rich and Nicole, beware of tomato worms.


Another beast in my garden.

10 comments:

Steve said...

The only thing that kills the tomatoes in my garden are the squirrels! I need a BB gun or something! Maybe your dad has an idea about them?!?!

Nicole said...

yuko. im gunna give 'em my angry eye if they come lurk'n roun' my joint....

Nicole said...

Steve: he has a nice air pump BB gun that would do some magic on squirrels.

Brenda said...

I need you dad at my house. My tomatoes have never done this poorly. I'm not sure what is up with S.F. soil and bugs.

Joy said...

Steve-I'm pretty sure my dad would mention a bb or pellet gun.

Brenda-Funny, my dad talks about moving to SF sometimes....for their growing season.

Julie said...

how do you get rid of them??

Unknown said...

Those worms look exactly like caterpillars.

My tomatoes are coming in late. I have some, but it's mostly just blossoms still. But the bushes are gigantic!

Oh, and I have a lot of basil...anyone need some basil?

Unknown said...

I've heard if you spray garlic water on your plants the bugs won't eat 'em.

Anonymous said...

Pick the tomato worms off the plants and squash them. They splatter all over. Yes, Steve, a pellet gun is a very good way of killing squirrels. Pellets will travel at 1200 ft/sec.

Janette said...

So much good advice!