Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Coraline


In the mood for a freaky, creepy little tale? Have I one for you. I'm almost thinking I have the tolerance of a 9 year old for these kind of movies, but Coraline was creepy. Don't let that stop you from watching it however-the tale of a little girl who discovers another family with buttons for eyes who wants her is enchanting, breathtaking at times, and even kind of funny. The animation is phenomenal and the voice acting is solid. After watching "Phoebe in Wonderland" recently, and now this-Dakota Fanning is fast becoming a favorite child star. She does a great job voicing Coraline. The ending is intense-you know how it ends, but there's still a few moments where you jump. Or at least I did.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

Would I dare take my kids to it?

Joy said...

It's out on DVD now-and I think Kelli brought it home with her. We Netflixed it and she was going to watch it on the plane I believe.

It's a good scare. I think Meg would be okay to watch it, I'm not sure about Abby. Here's another review on the show.


http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2009/07/coraline_on_dvd_arty_sophistic.html

Steve said...

I thought this was just ok. Too predicatable, but I was expecting a Tim Burton level, thus I was disappointed. Did you watch the 3-D version? I also got it on Netflix over the summer, but not in 3D. :(

Sparklebot said...

I really liked it. Very creepy and very well-acted.

Joy said...

Steve-I had the 3d version on one side of the disc and regular on the other. Unfortunately, I didn't have the glasses. I heard that the 3d version is actually really good.

Steve said...

There are definitely scenes that are designed for 3D. I'm thinking the tunnel between the houses and the garden scene! Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, just didn't make me want to rewatch it ever or recommend it over anything Burton has done in this genre.

Joy said...

Sparkle-This film seems right up your alley.


Steve-There's a couple of scenes at the end, the circus scene and performance by the sisters may be awesome in 3D. I read that the 3D version has characters pop in the film rather than come at you, and does an excellence job of enhancing the film.


I don't blame you for comparing it to "Nightmare before Christmas," but I like both films on their own merits.