Saturday, November 28, 2009

Movie Match-Up

I ended up red-boxing a couple of films this weekend. Both were "Chick-flicks" and both deserved mediocre reviews. Although I didn't feel like I wasted my time (I was knitting), I couldn't decide which film I liked better, so here's the run down.
The films are, "My life in Ruins" starring Nia Vardalos and "New in Town" with Renee Zellweger

Supporting Men: Both films had a well-known actor in a pivotal supporting cast. "My Life" had Richard Dreyfuss as the "funny guy," while "New in Town" had J.K. Simmons as the ornery, caustic plant supervisor. Although Dreyfuss was much warmer, he was actually kind of annoying. I'm racking my brain to think of when Dreyfuss made a film I really liked. I think it's been years. J.K. Simmons rocks the Minnesota accent, and well-isn't annoying.

Winner: "New in Town."



Chemistry: Many couples in romantic couples hook up and you wonder, huh, why did these two get together? In fact, this is probably one of the toughest things in casting a romantic movie (not that I've ever done it) and writing the script. You need two people that you'd actually see together. A lot of "My Life" was the bus driver (Alexis) oogling over Vardalos. However, I'm not sure if they are actually that plausible. Connick and Zellweger however? They fit. There's not fireworks, but they are more like a comfortable pair of shoes. Now, would a vp of a major corporation and a labor union rep actually hook up? Who knows, but it more or less works.

Winner: New in Town


Leading Guy: Okay, Chemistry and leading guy are different categories. We've got Harry Connick Jr (who unfortunately doesn't sing in this film) and Alexis Georgoulis. Alexis is hot, he's really hot, but well, he's got a little Fabianesque look that's a little offputting. Connick is a favorite from way back, he's got a beard which becomes him, he's written into the script as a southerner (guess he couldn't do the Minnesotan accent so well), and well, it's Connick.
Winner: New in Town




Locale: Okay this one is easy. "My Life in Ruins" is set in Greece. "New in Town" is set in Minnesota. In Winter. Um, I'm sure Minnesota is awesome, but I'm going to have to go with "My Life in Ruins."
Winner: My Life in Ruins

Looks like Renee and Harry take it with "New in Town." But um, set your expectations low, and you might enjoy the film!

3 comments:

Jillian said...

Set your expectations low. That should be the subtitle for my life.

erinannie said...

I'm glad you didn't like or really dislike "New In Town." Or maybe you did and my cold meds have me too fuzzy to tell the difference right now.
I saw it a while back and all I could think was "Victim of bad editing?" You can't get a cast together with that much talent and a crappy script or no budget. So how did all the right elements come together to be so boring and mediocre? I decided it must have been bad editing or something.
That being said, there's a movie that had a very short indie release and is already out on DVD that you have to see. Of all bizarre things it is the George Hamilton story, "My One and Only." I loved it. I'm really surprised it never got more attention!

Anonymous said...

We watched New in Town last night with Rich & Nicole. Cute, liked the plan manager & secretary. But the ending - awful. Not that it turned out poorly, but the scripting, etc, was so predictable yet preposterous.