Monday, November 16, 2009

Jeremiah Johnson



This afternoon I told two of my co-workers I finally sat down and watched "Jeremiah Johnson." One of them said, "Isn't it the best western without Indians?" Then he stopped, when I just looked at him, and he said "Oh yeah, well it's different than John Wayne Movies.
Jeremiah Johnson, a 1972 film based on a true story about a man who came to the Rockies Mountains to become a mountain man. He's inept at first, but through the help of a couple of friends, but learns the ropes of making a living from the Mountains. A series of tragic events changed the tone of the film which I didn't entirely like. However, all in all, the film was one I'm glad I finally sat down to watch.
Filmed entirely in Utah, the film is gorgeous. I cracked up a little at one scene that had to be filmed at the shores of Deer Creek Reservoir (you can see where the Heber Creeper Railroad line is), not far from the Highway. Part of the opening scene is filmed just below the Flaming Gorge Down which was fun to see.

1 comment:

Salt H2O said...

I love Jemiah Johnson. It's a good Sunday afternoon movie