Thursday, June 10, 2010

CSA Scramble Week One

Our first CSA delivery came yesterday. After going through what we had, I realized I didn't just have a parcel of vegetables, I'm in a creative race against time.
This week we received:
Garlic Scapes
Cauliflower
1 basil plant in pot
spearmint
Mixed lettuces
Bok Choi
chives
I've never cooked with garlic scapes or bok choi. I need to use the garlic scapes tonight, and haven't figured out what to make quite yet. The cauliflower will either be roasted or cooked with marinara sauce. Bok Choi? Luckily one of my cookbooks is obsessed with this stuff.
I think the spearmint will be used in ice cream. The mixed lettuces is already being eaten (yum, arugula) and the chives will be pretty easy to eat.
All I can say, is thank heavens for the Googles!

Definition of CSA: A farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. Interested consumers purchase a share (aka a "membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season.

No comments: