Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Memphis

Thursday afternoon, a micro-burst (I can't believe it wasn't a tornado) went through Alexandria and an estimated 7k trees went down. Our power was out, (didn't come back until Saturday morning) major roads and the metro lines were shut down so it took me 2+hours to get home. Needless to say, we were lucky. In our neighborhood, there were trees down in every yard and at least one house on every block of every street had a tree through their roof or down on their car. Well, we were slated to go to Memphis. After packing with the lights out for the trip and getting 2 hours of sleep because my lungs wouldn't settle down and let me sleep---we were off for a 6:40 am flight, I was starting to think Memphis was a great idea. Our power went back on Saturday morning. I already took our trash out, turned off the AC and opened all the windows. When we got back on Monday, our apartment was surprisingly smell-free but I lost several plants and almost everything in our fridge and freezer except for a few condiments and some produce.
All in all, we had a great time in Memphis, but I'm exhausted. I'll blog later about the trip (which was awesome) but I'm trying to live by Elvis's motto:


......That's "Taking Care of Business....In a Flash.." For those unintiated to Graceland, Elvis came up with this in the late sixties/early seventies and it's on his plane, decorated in his television room in Graceland etc.

No comments: